Hey, you found me! Great! I’m so happy you’re here.
My name is Emily Crookston and I am the brains behind The Pocket PhD. I am a former philosophy professor, who quit my academic job, moved from sunny Myrtle Beach, SC, (back) to not-quite-as-sunny Carrboro, NC, and took the driver’s seat behind the wheel of my business.
I am a copywriter, a recovering wallflower, and an aspiring badass.
So why would you hire me, a retired (if one can be retired at my age) academic, to write copy for your business?
Here are the top 10 reasons:
- I know how to package and sell big ideas. I spent a ton of time (I’m talking hours each week) figuring out how to get philosophy to stick in the heads of distracted 20-somethings, who came to the beach to go to college. Enough said.
- I know how to write. Sure, I have a few super fancy degrees (including, yes, a PhD) from a few super fancy universities, all of which required me to do a whole lot of writing. BUT I also know the difference between stuffy academic writing and lively content that will knock your socks off.
- I am resourceful and reliable. Forget about the absent-minded professor. To be a successful professor in the information age, you have to be a captivating scholar, a technology specialist, and a comedian all in one. Lucky for me, all of these skills come in handy when I write copy for clients too.
- I write only high quality content. There are a million freelancers out there who get paid by the word. I am not a freelancer. That means I’m actually free to focus on the quality of my words, not the number of words on the page. You won’t get any fluff from me.
- I write original content created specifically for each client. You will find that I am remarkably good at capturing your voice. You own the content I come up with and I will never reuse what I create for you.
- I help you find your voice. Think about your writing on your best days. You know, those days when you almost surprise yourself. Now imagine everything you write sounding like that. That’s what I can do for you.
- I know how to influence your target audience. Arguing persuasively is the name of the philosophy game. So, I know how to captivate an audience and keep their attention, which translates into organically driven traffic to your website and marketing collateral that practically sings.
- I’m easy to work with. I meet deadlines. You will LOVE my first draft, most of the time, but if you don’t love it, I will make sure you love the second draft. My copy, once delivered to you, rarely needs more than light editing.
- I am focused, calm, and fun to be around. When I find something that I am passionate about, I throw myself into it and I don’t look back. I am intensely focused on making time and space for what really matters. I don’t take anything else, including myself, too seriously.
- No one regrets hiring me. From my manager at the 99¢ movie theater, where I worked when I was in high school, to my mentor and marketing guru who took a risk in hiring me to write her copy, no one regrets hiring me. That’s because I give 150% to everything that I do.
In short: I am a living, breathing pocket resource guide for your business.
So if high quality, grammatically correct content that speaks to your audience is what you’re looking for, you have come to the right place. You found me!
Want to see more? Take a look at my portfolio.